The windy days of March mean spring is in the air! Shake off the cold fingers of winter and get ready to warmer temperatures and fun celebrations. Use the suggestions below to crank up your business communications afresh with fun content ideas for march relating to your particular business niche. If you’ve been cooped up inside too long through the colder months, turn loose your inner crazy.
Pi Day – (3.14) Wednesday March 14, 2018
The number Pi (π) is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. So? You may not be a mathematical genius, or even like math, but this is a fun and unusual way to engage with your audience. Consider creating some pi/pie-related social media posts. Maybe even something relating to the coming tax season (that’s ALL about math and calculations).
- Wish your followers a happy π day and share a little of the history of this mathematical concept, with corresponding circles as examples.
- Offer certain products for $3.14 (or give that much discount) in a one-day-only promotion.
- Share your favorite pie recipe.
- Offer a prize for the best pie recipe shared in the comments on this day only.
- Offer a prize for the best artistic rendition of the pi symbol (π).
- Use hashtag #piday to get your posts noticed and shared.
St. Patrick’s Day
March 17 is St. Patrick’s Day. If you do any content marketing in March, it should be around this holiday. Millions of folks worldwide wear green to celebrate this day. That should give you plenty of things to write about and plenty of opportunities to engage with your audience and potential customers.
- Recolor your website in shades of green just for this holiday.
- Run a “Green with Envy” Contest where contestants share what they desire the most. The most unique answer wins.
- Provide a free downloadable St. Patrick’s Day image or frame for others to use on their social media for the holiday (inscribed tastefully with your website address of course).
- Provide a little history for your users – “Bet You Didn’t Know: St. Patrick’s Day” – video from History.com.
- Share some cool food ideas – “Favorite St. Patrick’s Day Recipes” – article on Food Network.
- Share “20 Ways to Wear Green on St. Patrick’s Day” – post on Esquire and challenge followers to share an image of them wearing their favorite St. Patrick’s Day attire in your comments or on social media with a special hasgtag relating to your business.
Spring Buying Guide
Tuesday, March 20, 2018, is the first day of spring. It’s a great opportunity to help your shoppers prepare for the coming season. Publish a spring buying guide, with recommended products. You don’t have to sell clothing to share a buying guide. Any products can use buying guides. Or, if your business provides services instead of products, provide a Springtime Preparation Guide for your services.
- Pool opening services
- Lawn care services
- Tax preparation services
- Content Marketing planning guides
- Writing Services guide
- March Madness snacking guide
- Summertime Vacation rental guide
Holidays and Special Days
Friday March 2, 2018 Employee Appreciation Day #EmloyeeAppreciation
Wednesday March 14, 2018 National Pi Day #Piday
Thursday March 15, 2018 The Ides of March #IdesofMarch
Saturday March 17, 2018 St. Patrick’s Day #StPatricksDay
Tuesday March 20, 2018 International Earth Day #EarthDay
Tuesday March 20, 2018 First Day of Spring #Springtime
Sunday March 25, 2018 Palm Sunday #PalmSunday #TriumphalEntry
Friday March 30, 2018 Good Friday #GoodFriday
- March 1, 1954 – Ron Howard, actor, director, “Opie” on TV series “Andy Griffith”
- March 2, 1904 – Theodore Seuss Geisel, “Dr. Seuss”
- March 2, 1917 – Desi Arnaz- “Ricky Ricardo” on “I Love Lucy”
- March 2, 1931 – Mikhail Gorbachev, former Leader of USSR
- March 2, 1962 – Jon Bon Jovi, singer, actor
- March 3, 1847 – Alexander Graham Bell, inventor
- March 4, 1888 – Knute Rockne, Notre Dame’s “Fighting Irish” football coach
- March 5, 1989 – Jake Lloyd, actor “Anakin Skywalker” in “Star Wars: Phantom Menace”
- March 6, 1475 – Michelangelo, Renaissance painter
- March 6, 1906 – Lou Costello, comedian, of Abbott and Costello
- March 9, 1934 – Yuri Gagarin, Russian astronaut, first man in space
- March 10, 1940 – Chuck Norris, martial arts expert, actor
- March 10, 1957 – Osama Bin Laden, Al Qaeda terrorist leader
- March 10, 1983 – Carrie Underwood, American Idol Winner, singer
- March 14, 1879 – Albert Einstein, physicist
- March 14, 1920 – Hank Ketcham, cartoonist, created “Dennis the Menace”
- March 14, 1947 – Billy Crystal, actor, comedian
- March 15, 1767- Andrew Jackson, 7th U.S. President (1829-1837), hero of the War of 1812
- March 16, 1751 – James Madison, 4th U.S President (1809-1817)
- March 16, 1926 – Jerry Lewis, actor, comedian
- March 17, 1919 – Nat “King” Cole, singer
- March 17, 1951 – Kurt Russell, actor
- March 17, 1964 – Rob Lowe, actor
- March 18, 1837 – Grover Cleveland, 22d and 24th U.S. President (1885-1889, 1893-1897)
- March 18, 1963 – Vanessa Williams, singer, actress
- March 19, 1813 – David Livingstone, physician, explorer
- March 19, 1848 – Wyatt Earp, Wild West lawman
- March 19, 1891 – Earl Warren, chief justice of the Supreme Court
- March 19, 1955 – Bruce Willis, actor
- March 20, 1928 – Fred Rogers, actor Children’s show “Mr. Rogers”
- March 21, 1685 – Johann Sebastian Bach, musical composer
- March 22, 1931 – William Shatner, actor James T. Kirk, on Star Trek
- March 22, 1959 – Matthew Modine, actor
- March 23, 1904 – Joan Crawford, Oscar winning actress
- March 23, 1912 – Werner von Braun, rocket pioneer, scientist
- March 24, 1874 – Harry Houdini, magician
- March 24, 1976 – Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts All Star Quarterback
- March 25, 1947 – Elton John, singer, songwriter, musician
- March 26, 1874 – Robert Frost, poet
- March 26, 1911 – Tennessee Williams, playwright
- March 28, 1955 – Reba McIntyre, country western singer
- March 29, 1790 – John Tyler, 10th U.S. President (1841-1845)
- March 29, 1918 – Sam Walton, founded Wal-Mart
- March 30, 1853 – Vincent van Gogh, painter
- March 31, 1932 – John Jakes, author
- March 31, 1948 – Rhea Perlman, actress
What special days or observances get you moving in March? How can you leverage these holiday events or happenings to attract customers and impact your business? Share them in the comments and of course, share them with your readers! Until next month, March forward, wear green, and as always, keep writing!