October always recalls spooky scenes under a bright full moon, black cats leaping out from behind large, misshapen pumpkins, and rickety old houses that seem to come to life only at this time of year. Yes, Halloween is approaching fast and so are many opportunities to leverage it for your business. What are some popular Halloween-oriented interests you can tap into?
- Scary movies – How about running a contest relating to scary Halloween movies? Post several favorites on social media and allow followers to vote. Include old B&W classics as well as cult favorites and new films. Award the winner a coupon or discount for your business or cooperate with another local business to create a spooky-themed prize pack.
- Costume craziness – Adult Halloween costumes are a huge market as grown-ups get in on the fun with the kids. Ask followers to submit photos of their best adult costume and allow your audience to vote for their favorites out of top submissions you choose. A Halloween prize would be appropriate, as well as a free bottle of wine or meal.
- Fun food – Halloween snacks are always creative ground, and trading pics and recipes is great fun. Sponsor a recipe sharing frenzy on your website or social media. A cool spin for local outlets is to provide Halloween snacks for guests and customers as they visit and ask them to vote for their favorites.
- Home décor – Halloween decorating is also a big deal as neighborhood homes compete to outdo one another. Award prizes for the most creative home décor or post your favorites and allow your audience to vote for their favorites. Prizes could include cool home décor or maintenance items.
- Trick-or-Treat LIVE – Stream your Halloween night fun on Facebook LIVE as you share treats with Halloween visitors and show off the various costumes you see. Dress up yourself and provide some type of spooky, yet entertaining, decor to attract visitors.
Aside from Halloween fun, other important October emphases for your business can include:
Breast Cancer Awareness
According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer among women. Most of your readers will have been touched by this awful disease in some way. Produce or look for content to share that reminds women of the dangers of breast cancer and encourages them to learn more about it and schedule a screening. ACS also provides a simple self-check guide you can share on your website or through social media.
National Bullying Prevention Month
Bullying is wrong and harmful and can take many forms, with 1 out of every 5 students claiming to endure it. National Bullying Prevention Month is a nationwide campaign founded in 2006 by PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center. Share content about the harmful effects of bullying and challenge your readers to be proactive with their own children.
National Cyber Security Awareness Month
What is the most recent hack or online data theft scandal? You’ve likely lost track because there have been so many of them. Online scamming and identity theft is a worldwide epidemic. Consider sharing content to help fellow online business owners protect their own and client data. For more information visit the United States Homeland Security website for Cyber Security Month.
- October 1, 1921- James Whitmore, actor
- October 1, 1924- Jimmy Carter, 39th U.S. President (1977-1981)
- October 3, 1941- Chubby Checker, singer, musician
- October 4, 1181- St. Francis of Assisi, Catholic religious leader
- October 4, 1822- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th U.S. President (1877-1881)
- October 4, 1861- Frederic Remington, painter, sculptor
- October 5, 1829- Chester A. Arthur, 21st U.S. President (1881-1885)
- October 5, 1902- Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald’s
- October 7, 1951- John Mellencamp, singer
- October 7, 1959- Simon Cowell, judge on “American Idol”
- October 8, 1890 “Eddie” Rickenbacker, WWI flying ace
- October 8, 1943- R. L. Stine, author of children’s books
- October 9, 1940- John Lennon, singer, songwriter, musician, member of the “Beatles”
- October 9, 1948- Jackson Browne, singer, songwriter
- October 10, 1974- Dale Earnhardt Jr, auto racer
- October 11, 1884- Eleanor Roosevelt, first lady, wife of Franklin D. Roosevelt
- October 11, 1966 Luke Perry, actor
- October 12, 1935- Luciano Pavarotti, opera singer
- October 14, 1890- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th U.S. President (1953-1961)
- October 14, 1894- E. E. Cummings, poet
- October 16, 1758- Noah Webster – compiled first American English dictionary
- October 16, 1854- Oscar Wilde, poet, playwright
- October 16, 1958- Tim Robbins, actor, director
- October 17, 1918- Rita Hayworth, actress
- October 17, 1938- Evel Knievel, motorcycle daredevil
- October 18, 1939- Lee Harvey Oswald, assassinated President John F. Kennedy
- October 19, 1962- Evander Holyfield, champion heavyweight boxer
- October 20, 1882- Bela Lugosi, actor, played “Dracula”
- October 20, 1931- Mickey Mantle, MLB baseball slugger
- October 21, 1956- Carrie Fisher, actress, “Princess Leia” in “Star Wars”
- October 23, 1906- Gertrude Ederle, first woman to swim the English Channel
- October 23, 1925- Johnny Carson, Talk show host, “The Tonight Show”
- October 24, 1930- J.P. Richardson, singer, the “Big Bopper”, sang “Chantilly Lace”
- October 25, 1881 -Pablo Picasso, artist
- October 26, 1947- Hillary Rodham Clinton, first lady, NY Senator
- October 27, 1858- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th U. S President
- October 27, 1940- John Gotti, crime boss
- October 28, 1914- Jonas Salk, physician, developed polio vaccine
- October 28, 1936 -Charlie Daniels, singer, songwriter, musician
- October 28, 1955- Bill Gates, Microsoft executive, multi-multi billionaire
- October 30, 1735- John Adams, 2d U.S. President (1797-1801)
- October 30, 1882- William “Bull” Halsey, World War II Pacific Fleet Commander
- October 30, 1885- Ezra Pound, poet
- October 31, 1795 John Keats, poet
- October 31, 1887- Chiang Kai-shek, Chinese leader
- October 31, 1912- Dale Evans, the “Queen of the West”
- October 31, 1931- Dan Rather, TV News Anchorman
- October 31, 1936- Michael Landon, actor
- October 31, 1950- John Candy, actor, comedian
- October 31, 1967- Vanilla Ice, singer, actor
What October holidays or happenings grab your interest? What events or holiday happenings will attract customers or impact your business? Share them in the comments and of course, share them with your readers! Until next month, dress in your favorite costume, eat plenty of treats, and as always, keep writing!