February is the month of love because of Valentine’s Day on February 14. Therefore it’s a great month to write about romance and love. But you don’t have to be a romance writer to use love in your blog posts. As a business owner, you can leverage the love month for great writing and marketing campaigns.
For Valentine’s Day, choose one of your most popular products or product lines and promote it as a marketing campaign. For example, if you sell health products, you may promote “Love your Health” and then ask customers to post images of them with their favorite health product (that they purchased from you) on your social media platforms. People can love all sorts of products. The possibilities are endless.
February is also the month for two significant sporting events. Super Bowl 52 is set for Feb. 4 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, at U.S. Bank Stadium, and the 60th anniversary of the Daytona 500 is February 18, in Daytona, Florida. There are plenty of things to write about with both these events, from why people love sports, to vacation real estate options in both locations, to the architecture and history of both sporting venues. Again, the marketing possibilities are endless.
Holidays and Special Days
February 2, 2018 Groundhog Day #GroundhogDay
February 13, 2018 Mardi Gras Day / Fat Tuesday #MardiGras2018
February 14, 2018 Valentine’s Day #ValentinesDay2018
February 14, 2018 Ash Wednesday #AshWednesday2018
February 16, 2018 Chinese New Year #ChineseNewYear2018
February 19, 2018 President’s Day #PresidentsDay2018
- February 1, 1987 – Rhonda Rousey, mixed martial artist
- February 4, 1913 – Rosa Parks, civil rights activist
- February 5, 1962 – Jennifer Jason Leigh, actress
- February 6, 1911 – Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States
- February 6, 1945 – Bob Marley, singer
- February 7, 1812 – Charles Dickens, writer
- February 7, 1978 – Ashton Kutcher, actor
- February 8, 1931 – James Dean, actor
- February 8, 1932 – John Williams, composer
- February 11, 1847 – Thomas Edison, inventor, businessman
- February 11, 1936 – Burt Reynolds, actor
- February 11, 1953 – Jeb Bush, former governor of Florida
- February 11, 1969 – Jennifer Aniston, actress
- February 12, 1809 – Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States
- February 15, 1564 – Galileo, astronomer, mathematician, philosopher
- February 17, 1962 – Lou Diamond Phillips, Actor
- February 17, 1963 – Michael Jordan, NBA basketball player
- February 18, 1954 – John Travolta, actor
- February 19, 1955 – Jeff Daniels, actor
- February 21, 1955 – Kelsey Grammer, Actor
- February 22, 1732 – George Washington, 1st President of the United States
- February 23, 1983 – Emily Blount, actress
- February 24, 1955 – Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple
- February 24, 1977 – Floyd Mayweather, boxer
- February 26, 1932 – Johnny Cash, singer-songwriter
- February 27, 1932 – Elizabeth Taylor, actress
- February 29, 1960 – Richard Ramirez, serial killer
February 3, 2018 is The Day the Music Died
On February 3, 1959, popular young American rock stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. Richardson “The Big Bopper” were killed when their chartered Beechcraft Bonanza airplane crashed in Iowa a few minutes after takeoff on a flight headed for Moorehead, Minnesota. After repeated breakdowns with their tour bus, Holly chartered the plane to take the headline acts on to the next concert location. Investigators blamed the crash on bad weather and pilot error. Singer Don McLean memorialized Holly, Valens, and Richardson in the 1972 No. 1 hit American Pie, which calls February 3, 1959, as “the day the music died.”
February 12, 2018 is Clean Out Your Computer Day
This interesting but practical holiday was started in 2000 by the Institute of Business Technology, and always falls on the second Monday in February. In addition to giving your desktop or laptop computer a good general cleaning, some other suggestions are:
- Backup your computer, including all your files, documents, and pictures.
- Clean out your desktop. Delete or archive files that you have no use of or haven’t used in several months.
- Organize your folders, files, and bookmarks.
- Uninstall all the programs you no longer use.
February 26, 2018 is Tell a Fairy Tale Day
This unofficial holiday encourages celebrators to read, tell, and listen to fairy tales from around the world. Fairy tales are a genre of literature that features fantastic, and often magical, characters. Usually in the form of short stories with fairies, elves, trolls, and witches as central characters, fairy tales are set in a magical world with events that take place “once upon a time.” Fairy tales are a form of folk tales and have a strong oral as well as written tradition across many cultures.
What special days or observances do you “love” in February? How can you leverage these holiday events or happenings to attract customers and impact your business? Share them in the comments and of course, share them with your readers! Until next month, stay warm, love strongly, and as always, keep writing!