By now, fall is definitely in the air and football games are in full swing. Also, pumpkin-flavored everything is in vogue, from cereal to coffee. Fall colors are usually showing up by now in most parts of the country and many people are enjoying the last vestiges of agreeable weather before dragging out the snow boots and winter coats.
Let’s begin this month’s content suggestions on a more serious note and get to the Halloween candy later. October plays host to a few important emphases that are well worth noting and promoting in your small business.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer among women, only skin cancer is more common. Most of your readers will have been touched by this awful disease in some way. In October, consider publishing content that reminds women of the dangers of breast cancer and encourages them to learn more about it and schedule a screening.
October is National Bullying Prevention Month
Over 1 out of 5 students report being bullied regularly in school. Bullying is wrong and harmful and can take many forms. National Bullying Prevention Month is a nationwide campaign founded in 2006 by PACER’s National Bullying Prevention Center. This is a great month to publish content about the harmful effects of bullying and show that you care about kids being safe at school, while online, and in your community.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month
Today, the internet touches all aspects of our lives, and online scamming and identity theft is a worldwide epidemic. Take this opportunity to educate your readers about the importance of protecting themselves and their important information while online. For more information visit the United States Homeland Security website for Cyber Security Month.
Now, on to the fun!
Halloween – October 31
Halloween is a huge spending holiday that includes decorations, candy, costumes, and cooking. Even if your business is not directly connected to these types of items, you can leverage the Halloween holiday to have some fun and promote your brand. Here are some great suggestions:
- Host an online photo conteston your favorite social media platforms and award free products or services to the winning image. Consider featuring costumes, home decor, or delicious Halloween treats.
- Host a contest for the scariest ghost stories, and post the finalists on your blog. Start early promoting this and post the winners a week before Halloween. Award the winners with coupons for great Halloween stuff or your own products or services.
- Collect and post the best DIY costume and/or home decorating ideason your blog.
- Start a social media commenting stream by asking users to post a pic in the comments of their favorite Halloween treatto give out, or the best ones received while Trick-or-Treating.
- Post an article providing important safety tips for Trick-or-Treating, including what types of treats to avoid and tips for being visible in the dark.
- Go on Facebook LIVEas you share treats with Halloween visitors and show off the various costumes you see. Dress up yourself and provide some type of spooky, yet entertaining, decor to attract visitors.
Here are some other notable October dates of interest:
Columbus Day – October 8, 2018
For decades and decades, American history books and school teaching told us Christopher Columbus discovered America. Today, we celebrate Columbus Day for different reasons. Columbus did discover the existence of the New World for Europeans who until then, believed the world was flat and ended somewhere in the Atlantic. And, the focus is now more about the discovery of the “New World.”
Bosses Day – October 16, 2018
Now here is a day that gives you a chance to both tell and show the boss what you really think of him or her. And, it is an opportunity to give your boss the appreciation that he or she truly deserves. Or, for the solopreneurs and business owners among us, go ahead and celebrate not having a boss or being the boss and treat yourself!
Navy Day – October 27, 2018
In the United States, Navy Day is commonly celebrated on October 27th. This date was selected by President Theodore Roosevelt, an avid supporter of the U.S. Navy. In the 1970’s, research determined that the birthday of the U.S. Continental Navy was October 13, 17; however, Navy Day in the United States is still largely recognized as October 27th.
Notable October Birthdays
- October 1, 1921- James Whitmore, actor
- October 1, 1924- Jimmy Carter, 39th U.S. President (1977-1981)
- October 1, 1927- Tom Bosley, actor
- October 3, 1941- Chubby Checker, singer, musician
- October 3, 1959- Jack Wagner, actor
- October 4, 1181- St. Francis of Assisi, Catholic religious leader
- October 4, 1822- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th U.S. President (1877-1881)
- October 4, 1861- Frederic Remington, painter, sculptor
- October 4, 1924- Charlton Heston, actor , NRA President
- October 5, 1829- Chester A. Arthur, 21st U.S. President (1881-1885)
- October 5, 1902- Ray Kroc, founder of McDonald’s
- October 5, 1975- Kate Winslet, actress, “Rose” in movie “Titanic”
- October 7, 1943- Oliver North, National Security Council
- October 7, 1951- John Mellencamp, singer
- October 7, 1959- Simon Cowell, judge on “American Idol”
- October 7, 1966- Toni Braxton, singer
- October 8, 1890 “Eddie” Rickenbacker, WWI flying ace
- October 8, 1943- R. L. Stine, author of children’s books
- October 9, 1940- John Lennon, singer, songwriter, musician, member of the “Beatles”
- October 9, 1948- Jackson Browne, singer, songwriter
- October 10, 1974- Dale Earnhardt Jr, auto racer
- October 11, 1884- Eleanor Roosevelt, first lady, wife of Franklin D. Roosevelt
- October 11, 1966 Luke Perry, actor
- October 12, 1935- Luciano Pavarotti, opera singer
- October 12, 1947- Chris Wallace, TV news correspondent
- October 14, 1644- William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania
- October 14, 1890- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th U.S. President (1953-1961)
- October 14, 1894- E. E. Cummings, poet
- October 14, 1927- Roger Moore, actor , played “James Bond”
- October 16, 1758- Noah Webster – compiled first American English dictionary
- October 16, 1854- Oscar Wilde, poet, playwright
- October 16, 1925- Angela Lansbury, actress, “Murder, She Wrote”
- October 16, 1958- Tim Robbins, actor, director
- October 17, 1918- Rita Hayworth, actress
- October 17, 1938- Evel Knievel, motorcycle daredevil
- October 18, 1926- Chuck Berry, singer, songwriter, starred in movie “Patton”
- October 18, 1939- Mike Ditka, NFL Chicago Bears head coach
- October 18, 1939- Lee Harvey Oswald, assassinated President John F. Kennedy
- October 19, 1962- Evander Holyfield, champion heavyweight boxer
- October 20, 1882- Bela Lugosi, actor, played “Dracula”
- October 20, 1931- Mickey Mantle, MLB baseball slugger
- October 21, 1956- Carrie Fisher, actress, “Princess Leia” in “Star Wars”
- October 23, 1906- Gertrude Ederle, first woman to swim the English Channel
- October 23, 1925- Johnny Carson, Talk show host, “The Tonight Show”
- October 24, 1930- J.P. Richardson, singer, the “Big Bopper”, sang “Chantilly Lace”
- October 25, 1881 -Pablo Picasso, artist
- October 25, 1940- Bobby Knight, College basketball coach
- October 26, 1947- Hillary Rodham Clinton, first lady, NY Senator
- October 27, 1858- Theodore Roosevelt, 26th U. S President
- October 27, 1940- John Gotti, crime boss
- October 28, 1914- Jonas Salk, physician, developed polio vaccine
- October 28, 1936 -Charlie Daniels, singer, songwriter, musician
- October 28, 1955- Bill Gates, Microsoft executive, multi-multi billionaire
- October 30, 1735- John Adams, 2d U.S. President (1797-1801)
- October 30, 1882- William “Bull” Halsey, World War II Pacific Fleet Commander
- October 30, 1885- Ezra Pound, poet
- October 30, 1945- Henry Winkler, actor
- October 31, 1795 John Keats, poet
- October 31, 1887- Chiang Kai-shek, Chinese leader
- October 31, 1912- Dale Evans, the “Queen of the West”
- October 31, 1931- Dan Rather, TV News Anchorman
- October 31, 1936- Michael Landon, actor
- October 31, 1950- John Candy, actor, comedian
- October 31, 1967- Vanilla Ice, singer, actor
What holidays grab your interest? Are there current events or holiday happenings that will attract customers or impact your business? Share them with me in the comments and of course, share them with your readers! Until next month, dress in your favorite costume, enjoy some great candy or a pumpkin-flavored treat, and as always, keep writing!